radeontool.... why?

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Mar 23 16:39:00 UTC 2009

Oscar wrote:
> jojojo and I didn't worry about space but I think is not ok, that I want
> to uninstall something with only 12k and 3 iNodes and I also  have to
> unisntall allmost all the important packages on my system, I do not know
> how this thing is implemented(and I do not care) but in my opinión is
> wrong even if all is  just 12k or if it's 1 GB. I have to leave it that
> way 'cause I have no other choice :P maybe use Windows but i think is
> forbidden in the ten commandments and I'm not a sinner [?]

I'll tell you a dirty little secret: There's lots of other hardware support
code for hardware you don't have which is required by various dependencies.
Usually libraries which we have to build the packages against so they
support that hardware. That's why there are distros for control freaks
(e.g. Gentoo) which build everything from source and allow you to disable
stuff (and end up with something completely untested as a result). Needless
to say, I think you'd be wasting a lot more time rebuilding everything from
source than downloading a few kilobytes of unneeded (for you) hardware
support libraries. :-)

        Kevin Kofler