System Config Tools Cleanup Project - tools to eliminate/replace

Muayyad AlSadi alsadi at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 17:15:33 UTC 2009

> And even haven't an xorg.conf no
> longer solves my problems. So might as well kill it.

I needed system-config-display because
  * called by /etc/init.d/livesys-late to provide my livecd with a
xdriver= boot option
  * recover bad hand written xorg.conf
  * recover bad xorg.conf files generated by older versions of
proprietary nvidia drivers

>> * system-config-network
>>  - replacement NetworkManager
>>  - missing IPv6? routing?
> I don't think NetworkManager is ready yet, at least not ready to
> repalce system-config-network. Just setting up LTSP, i needed
> system-config-network quite a bit.

+1
NM is not ready yet,
for example I could not use it to dial xDSL and pass it my password
..etc. [in F9]

> * system-config-keyboard
>  - used only in Anaconda, let it be standalone?
>  - very simple tool, Gnome/KDE have better one
hmmm,
we need a system-wide default
and of course we need to allow users to override

talking about my self, I only rely on system-config-keyboard
because I have several problems with other tools
here is a screenshot

http://up2.m5zn.com/photo/2009/3/20/03/1ytw0m0w5.png/png