Re: System Config Tools Cleanup Project - tools to eliminate/replace

On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 1:16 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam redhat com> wrote:

> Quite a lot of people still don't want to use NetworkManager. It makes
> little sense on a system which just sits there connected to a static IP
> address 24/7.

I think it does because it provides a useful networking API for other
applications to consume.  For example, answering the question "is
there an active network link" was effectively impossible for app
authors before.

Also, in my opinion on a well-managed network if you want a fixed IP
address, the right way to do it is MAC matching on the DHCP server,
not client configuration.  And NetworkManager works well in such a
setup.