System Config Tools Cleanup Project - tools to eliminate/replace

Suren Karapetyan surenkarapetyan at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 06:37:00 UTC 2009

Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 24, 2009 at 10:00 PM, Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:
>
>> Matthew Woehlke wrote:

>>> I'd actually have to disagree. I *love* NM on my Asus (netbook).
>>>
>> Congratulations.
>>
>> For me,
>> - NM doesn't work on any machine w/ WLAN
>> - NM is just bloated ballast on machines w/o WLAN
>>

> I believe you are in a very small minority with that view.
>

>>>  It's
>>>
>>> great for laptops (or other computers that tend to move around and need to
>>> deal with "foreign" networks,
>>>
>> Seemingly it's sufficiently functional for some people in such situation. I
>> don't have such demands.
>>

> It's more than functional for most people in most situations.
>

>>> especially wireless networks), and it's "okay" for desktops.
>>>
>> Yes, it works "sufficiently" on my desktops, but ... at which price?
>> ... Instability caused by silly "dark magic",
>>

> Oh please.
>

>> ... no cli
>> ... no network profiles
>>

> Both valid concerns.
>

>> ... bloat
>>

> Made up over used word thrown around as as a subject non specific
> critic of any software someone doesn't like

Come on... :)
A full-fledged daemon running all the time sitting on the system bus
waking up every few seconds (to eat CPU) which is going to do

ifconfig eth0 111.111.111.111/24 up
ip route add default via 111.111.111.222
echo "nameserver 111.111.111.123" > /etc/resolv.conf

And do it only *once* every reboot (which can easily be 30+ days).

This makes sense neither for servers nor for desktops.
It's useful for laptops which travel a lot (not even all laptops, cause
many of them are used as desktop-replacements).

What I'm asking for is to allow free choice, cause , you know, there is
no such thing as "one true way",
i.e. what is the only way in one situation may be completely useless and
even stupid in another.