GPL Web App containing Proprietary Flash Widget

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Mar 26 12:12:50 UTC 2009

On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 12:00:05PM +0800, Stephan February wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-03-25 at 10:38 +0000, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 04:39:14PM +0800, Stephan February wrote:
> > > Hello
> > >
> > > I have done extensive reading on the Fedora site regarding packaging,
> > > and specifically "code vs. content".
> > > My employer is developing a web-application which will be licensed under
> > > GPL or similar FSF-approved license. The web application will most
> > > likely contain a proprietary (non-free) flash charting widget.
> > > Will our rpm-packaged web application, which will include the flash
> > > widget be accepted into Fedora repository ?
> >
> > The flash widget would have to be excluded, or made open source & buildable
> > with open source tools too.
> >

> Does this mean that if I were to use something like OpenFlash Chart,
> which is LGPL (http://teethgrinder.co.uk/open-flash-chart-2/) and
> buildable using the MPL-licensed Adobe Flex SDK, that I could get the
> Webapp + OpenFlashChart .rpm into the repo ?

Last time I looked at the Adobe Flex SDK there was some questionmark about
whether all of it was truely covered under MPL - some files had unclear
licensing headers in the source. But assuming those were resolved & Adobe
Flex SDK were approved for Fedora, then using OpenFlash Chart seems like
a reasonable approach.

Daniel