"Please split doc into foo-doc subpackage" -> why?

James Antill james at fedoraproject.org
Thu Mar 26 21:12:09 UTC 2009

> I just recieved one of these bugs (#492446), and I'm not sure
> why we'd do this for any package.
>
> If we split the docs like this:
>
> - it would be inconsistent per-package
> -- so an admin wouldn't know whether a package had docs or not in
>    the main package without manually trying to install a foo-doc
>    subpackage
> -- they would no longer be there by default if they're needed
>
> Hence, why do this, when rpm already has a --nodocs flag and
> macro that can be used for space savings on live images?

 My personal feeling is that this is nice in some cases, but not the
majority. If/when we have "Suggests:" I think it'd be a perfect
opportunity to use it on *-docs, until then the only thing I'd recommend
is that people not do rpm installs, or use tsflag hacks :).

--
James Antill <james at fedoraproject.org>
Fedora