F11: xorg decision to disable Ctrl-Alt-Backspace

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Fri Mar 27 21:19:05 UTC 2009

Gerry Reno wrote:
> Roland McGrath wrote:
>> I'm sure many of us are used to hacking xorg.conf with:
>>
>> Section "ServerFlags"
>> Option "DontZap" "1"
>> EndSection
>>
>> A change to the default just means that people who care in the other
>> direction need that same thing with s/1/0/ in their habits or
>> kickstart %post.
>>
>> Neither of these is very satisfactory to me.
>>
>> Where this really belongs in with the user "keyboard shortcuts"
>> preferences
>> settings, so each desktop user gets it the way they want it. Then really
>> nobody will care which way the default is, it's just a user preference.
>>
>> (I understand why this is magically different from other keyboard config
>> things, but I don't really care what the preferences magic does
>> behind the
>> curtain if it makes it work.)
>>
>> All that said, in my experience when C-M-DEL works, C-M-Fn also works to
>> switch VTs, with the same level of how-bad-the-session-is-borked
>> affecting
>> whether the X server magic hotkeys work. So, C-M-F3 and use the console
>> login to go kill it pretty much always works for the scenarios you are
>> worried about.
>>

>> Thanks,
>> Roland
>>

> Just how do I sent that to a VM from a VMM? Ctrl-Alt-Backspace is the
> menu selection. And this behavior has been a part of X as I said, for
> decades.

This change to default behavior of Ctrl-Alt-Backspace is an example of a
tiny minority of Emacs users lobbying xorg for a change that will affect
a huge number of community and commercial users including datacenters
and their sys admins. This change needs to be reversed immediately.
Ctrl-Alt-Backspace is embedded now into many tools including all the
virtualization tools. It is part of the DNA of every sys admin. To
change this behavior is just insanity.

Regards,
Gerry