F11: xorg decision to disable Ctrl-Alt-Backspace

Gerry Reno greno at verizon.net
Fri Mar 27 21:54:59 UTC 2009

Ahmed Kamal wrote:
> To anyone wanting to kill X when it hangs, why not login through a VC
> and "pkill X" .. Just like any process, why do we have to have magic keys!

Because not everyone logs in or is logged in that way.  And when you're
in a datacenter dealing with hundreds of machines you don't have time to
be fiddling around with alternate mechanisms.  You need to be able to
count on the behaviors of controlling the X server that have been there
for decades and as I said have become part of your DNA.

Regards,
Gerry