preupgrade today: getting error: cannot download the kickstart file

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon Mar 30 03:06:01 UTC 2009

John Reiser wrote:
> yum, preupgrade, and related FedoraProject software often does its best
> to hide such details from the user, and to make it inconvenient to choose
> anything other than the default round-robin by geo-IP.  [jigdo is an
> exception.]

I just hardcode a known good mirror in the .repo files (and keep the
mirrorlist as fallback).

That said, the mirrorlists actually work pretty well these days. I remember
the days when all the .repo files were configured to default to a single
heavily overloaded server at Red Hat. Then we got a round robin of some
random mirrors all over the world, usually with disastrous resulting
bandwidth. Now we get local, usually fast mirrors by default.

        Kevin Kofler