Re: question about git workflow

On 03/31/2009 12:42 PM, Christoph Höger wrote:
Hi there dvcs users,

I am getting used to using git while working with upstream projects. So
when I try to make a patch available upstream, I encounter the following
problem: I want to make small commits during my work but of course send
the result as a single patch via git format-patch. So what's best:

1. clone upstream, create another local branch, work there, and then
merge that branchs changes via diff?

2. use<UNKNOWN_GIT_COMMAND>  to merge those commits into a single one?

"git-diff from..to" can do that. But srsly, why not send a patch series? That's the beauty of git.

3. do not use intermdiate local commits (bad idea)

And the final question: When I got to the point of sending one single
patch and upstream merges it, how can I resync with upstream without
having to clone again?

git-rebase typically.

behdad

thanks