question about git workflow

Andy Gospodarek gospo at redhat.com
Tue Mar 31 16:58:24 UTC 2009

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 06:42:02PM +0200, Christoph Höger wrote:
> Hi there dvcs users,
>
> I am getting used to using git while working with upstream projects. So
> when I try to make a patch available upstream, I encounter the following
> problem: I want to make small commits during my work but of course send
> the result as a single patch via git format-patch. So what's best:
>
> 1. clone upstream, create another local branch, work there, and then
> merge that branchs changes via diff?

I typically do that.  I use branches for all sorts of staging and it's
easy to do a:

$ git diff mybranch | patch -p1

or something similar when you are ready.  Then you can post that diff.

> 2. use <UNKNOWN_GIT_COMMAND> to merge those commits into a single one?

You can also do a:

$ git format-patch -1 mybranch

I think. (I don't use this, so I can't say for sure it will work.)