dontzap - a application to revert dontzap setting

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Mar 31 19:56:45 UTC 2009

On Tue, 2009-03-31 at 21:43 +0200, Tomasz Torcz wrote:

> > An app, a configuration framework with four differnet programs, all
> > to twiddle one configuration line. Impressive.
>
>   And all of this for manipulating xorg.conf, which doesn't even exists
> on modern distros.

Doesn't even exist *by default*. This is perfectly normal for
configuration files in many applications, it's a relatively common
system to have the file not exist by default and only need to be created
manually or automatically if a default setting is required to be
changed.

This doesn't make xorg.conf any less 'current' or 'valid'. It's still
entirely supported by the X.org project and the only recommended /
supported / possible way to change certain configurations. The only
change from 'olden days' is that X is expected and configured to work
without it being present by default, as long as you don't want to change
any default settings.

I think people over-emphasize the scope of this change. It's only
intended to be as I described above. xorg.conf is not at present nor is
it intended to become entirely obsolete.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey