FESCo Meeting Summary for 20090424

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri May 1 02:47:04 UTC 2009

On Fri, 2009-05-01 at 04:32 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:

> Also, the comparison with Ubuntu stinks anyway. They had an earlier freeze
> than we did. They were looking at an earlier version of the new
> g-v-c. And the based their distro on PA 0.9.14, however the new g-v-c
> is designed for 0.9.15 which was quite a big update.

I don't want to push this as it was just a point made in passing, but I
think you're rather overstating the case there. Those aren't significant
differences: they were faced with the same choice between the same two
tools and considered the same issues we're considering. From the bug
report:

"what do you mean exactly there? why not using the new capplet in
jaunty? look at the list of bugs, the new capplet can't control alsa
directly or control other channel or enable numeric sources"

they didn't choose on the basis of some trivial issue that was fixed in
a newer g-v-c or pulseaudio; they chose because of the same issues we're
considering. The current g-v-c in Fedora can't do any of those three
things.

(btw, the digital output issue is an interesting one. Presumably the
PulseAudio folks will tell us that, if we want to switch from analog to
digital output, we should use pavucontrol, right? So what's that? Two
GUI applications to do the same thing...)
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey