FESCo Meeting Summary for 20090424

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri May 1 04:08:59 UTC 2009

> Do we install pavucontrol by default? Why yes, yes we do.
>
> http://cvs.fedoraproject.org/viewvc/comps/comps-f11.xml.in?revision=1.210&view=markup
>
> there it is, right in the Sound and Video group, which is installed by
> default in the desktop spin (and the desktop spin doesn't override it
> out of there):

I just checked, BTW - apparently we've been committing the UI error of
installing two volume control applications by default since Fedora 8.
pavucontrol is in the comps.xml file for F8, F9, and F10, along with
gnome-media, which contains gnome-volume-control. Presumably the
justification for this was that pavucontrol lets you control
Pulse-related stuff that the old gnome-volume-control didn't. So, it's
fine when Pulse wants to do it...

Looking at my F10 system, I can find PulseAudio Volume Control in Foot
menu / Sound & Video, while I find Volume Control in Foot menu /
System / Preferences / Hardware.

That's a nice clean UI, I suppose!
--
Adam Williamson