I wanted to open a discussion for F12 about running services on shell accounts.

Daniel J Walsh dwalsh at redhat.com
Fri May 1 14:31:12 UTC 2009

I would like to run restorecond as a user service rather then as system
service.  I want to run it under the Users UID and under with the users
context.

Then I can have it watch for creation of files in the users home
directory and be the equivalent of running restorecon ~/ by the user.

Currently I can do this with the system service restorecond, but that is
running as root and has to be able to relabel everything.

I want to use something like DBUS so I have only one restorecond running
for each user no matter how many times the user logs in.

I built a dbus service and everything works fine.  Except that I want
this to work on a server when I ssh to a machine.  Or if I log in via
the console terminal.  In those cases I do not have a dbus session so I
am out of luck.

I could have restorecond started via /etc/profile.d but I would need to
do something for csh and bash, and I could end up with multiple
restorecond under the same UID.  I could build into restorecond some
kind of locking to prevent this, but the dbus solution eliminates me
from having to do some potentially buggy code.

I doubt I am the only one who wants to run sessions on login for
terminal users.  Any thoughts on running a dbus session for a terminal
session?