FESCo Meeting Summary for 20090424

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Sat May 2 14:52:34 UTC 2009

On Sat, 02.05.09 15:27, Matthew Garrett (mjg at redhat.com) wrote:

> On Sat, May 02, 2009 at 09:57:34AM -0400, Paul W. Frields wrote:
>
> > Of course, if I understand correctly, you're not saying pavucontrol
> > would disappear, just that the design considerations under discussion
> > might call for it to not be installed by default.  Right?
>
> I'm not on the desktop team, but I guess it wouldn't be impossible. I'm
> actually surprised to find that it's installed by default - seeing it in
> the menu, I'd assumed that it just opened the same preferences as g-v-c
> does. The degree of overlap of functionality is pretty huge.

pavucontrol should have been dropped from the default install the
minute the new g-v-c was pushed into Fedora. We forgot to do that. We
should do it now. End of story.

The reason I initially wrote pavucontrol is to have something to show
off the features PA has. Such as per-stream vol control, moving
streams between devices, profile switching, ... I didn't write it because
I thought that it's the way volume controls should be looking like. I
honestly don't like writing UI programs. My interests lie elsewhere. I
wrote it as a show case, not for UIs but for what PA can be good for.

pavucontrol is more powerful than g-v-c. But that's expected. I hope
g-v-c will eventually learn more of the features pavucontrol has
without becoming as cluttered, so that we can get rid of pavucontrol
eventually.

Lennart

lennart [at] poettering [dot] net