FESCo Meeting Summary for 20090424

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon May 4 14:29:35 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-05-04 at 14:56 +0200, Lennart Poettering wrote:

> time began and still is. I cannot tape over that fact in PA.

> Nah. using this is a misuse. You always should access SPDIF via the
> 'iec985' device, which is what PA does. It will switch the appropriate

> This is wrong. PA handles spdif correctly. There is not
> regression. And PA handles the surround mixer situation better than
> the raw ALSA mixer. There is no regression.

Lennart - I'm not talking about PA. I've already said the way PA does
analog surround and S/PDIF, with its profile support, is a great
improvement. I like it. But the current counter-proposal for F11 is to
ship gnome-volume-control and no other mixer by default. g-v-c does not
expose PA's profile support. So no matter how great PA is - by this
proposal, we would *not be exposing* all that greatness by default in
F11 at all. People would somehow have to figure out to install
pavucontrol before they could get to that greatness.

The question is g-v-c vs. legacy mixer, not PulseAudio per se.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey