Abandon "Default Desktop"

Orcan Ogetbil oget.fedora at gmail.com
Mon May 4 16:35:18 UTC 2009

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 12:13 PM, Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-05-04 at 09:04 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> (except that you get Firefox as your browser if you choose GNOME, whereas
>> the official default browser of GNOME is Epiphany).
>
> This is one of the reasons why it's not the Gnome spin, it's the Fedora
> Desktop spin.  If somebody wanted to make a GNOME spin that highlighted
> the best of the GNOME world and GNOME only, they could.

Some entirely observational, non-scientific and quite possibly
coincidental statistics: In my department (Physics) we have RHEL and
Windows on the lab computers right now. Also since this is a Physics
department, there is a significant proportion of Linux users (grad
students, postdocs, professors, administrators), who use different
flavors of Linux on their personal computers.

I have only seen 1 person in the last 7 years that I have spent here,
using Gnome. The rest uses KDE (even in the lab on RHEL computers) or
Windows.

Is this really coincidence? Are we (KDE users) really the minority?

Orcan, one of  "Them strange physicists..."