Abandon "Default Desktop"

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at hi.is
Mon May 4 17:01:29 UTC 2009

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-05-04 at 09:04 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>
>> (except that you get Firefox as your browser if you choose GNOME, whereas
>> the official default browser of GNOME is Epiphany).
>>

> This is one of the reasons why it's not the Gnome spin, it's the Fedora
> Desktop spin.  If somebody wanted to make a GNOME spin that highlighted
> the best of the GNOME world and GNOME only, they could.

So if the other *DE SIG decide to ship firefox ( or any or few other
applications that are not upstream ones ) instead of the DE upstream
default browser they can claim the "Fedora Default Desktop"?

Are all the other *DE spins we ship exactly like their corresponding
upstream projects?

Where do you want to draw the line here?

One application that vary from upstream ten, hundred thousand before
they can claim to be Fedora's default desktop?

This argument does not hold water sorry.

Fedora *DE spins and how close or not so close they want to be to
upstream is totally up to the corresponding *DE SIG
to decide since they are the projects representing within Fedora and
it's up to them to use what ever ( marketing  or combination of
application ) methods they choose to reach out to as many end users as
possible on they're corresponding live cd but let them do so on a fair
ground and drop the default desktop concept.

JBG