Abandon "Default Desktop"

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon May 4 17:13:00 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-05-04 at 17:01 +0000, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
> So if the other *DE SIG decide to ship firefox ( or any or few other
> applications that are not upstream ones ) instead of the DE upstream
> default browser they can claim the "Fedora Default Desktop"?

No.

> Are all the other *DE spins we ship exactly like their corresponding
> upstream projects?

Depends on what the other *DE spins want to do and what they want to
call themselves.

> Where do you want to draw the line here?

There is no real line.  When designing the Desktop spin, we had to pick
a name.  Calling it the Gnome spin was disingenuous as it does not
feature a pure Gnome desktop.  What it features is what the Fedora
project decided was it's best desktop foot forward, the user experience
we wanted people to get if they were to get nothing else from Fedora.
Ergo we called it the Desktop spin.

> One application that vary from upstream ten, hundred thousand before
> they can claim to be Fedora's default desktop?
>
> This argument does not hold water sorry.
>
> Fedora *DE spins and how close or not so close they want to be to
> upstream is totally up to the corresponding *DE SIG
> to decide since they are the projects representing within Fedora and
> it's up to them to use what ever ( marketing  or combination of
> application ) methods they choose to reach out to as many end users as
> possible on they're corresponding live cd but let them do so on a fair
> ground and drop the default desktop concept.

That's a great speech, except that it is entirely misdirected.  I'm not
telling other spins what to call themselves or what to include.  I'm
telling you why the Desktop spin is named the way it is, and why it
isn't called the GNOME spin.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!