Abandon "Default Desktop"

Orcan Ogetbil oget.fedora at gmail.com
Mon May 4 18:31:59 UTC 2009

2009/5/4 Seth Vidal wrote:
> On Mon, 4 May 2009, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
>>
>> I have only seen 1 person in the last 7 years that I have spent here,
>> using Gnome. The rest uses KDE (even in the lab on RHEL computers) or
>> Windows.
>>
>> Is this really coincidence? Are we (KDE users) really the minority?
>>
>> Orcan, one of  "Them strange physicists..."
>
> I was the head sysadmin for a physics dept for 6 yrs. We had a lot of linux
> users. In fact, the majority of the dept used linux on the desktop.
>
> They used whatever was the default when they hit enter at the xdm/gdm/etc
> prompt.
>
> and that's what they stuck with unless they had some compelling reason to do
> otherwise.
>
> so, there you go, my anecdotal experience offsets yours.

I believe you. I was only talking about my personal observations. I
did not make a study on this and it might even be my selective
perception. Nevertheless, I hope that Redhat does such studies
continuously.

A person already makes a choice (a very big and "radical" one) when he
decides to use Linux. A second choice is made by deciding on Fedora.
Why should we enforce that these were the last choices he makes?

As Roberto stated previously in this thread, those who think that "the
user should have to choose" are more likely to be in the KDE camp. If
KDE were the default "Desktop spin" in Fedora, I don't think that KDE
people would oppose the idea of dropping the name "Desktop spin", or
offering other DE's during installation, for the sake of having
choices.

I wish Gnome camp was (more) open minded...

Orcan