FESCo Meeting Summary for 20090424

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon May 4 19:36:08 UTC 2009

Lennart Poettering wrote:
> When used for surround sound the ALSA mixer knows channels such as
> "Rear Front Left" and "Side Front Left". That is broken.

It may seem broken for you, and the interface is certainly suboptimal, but
it's better than not being able to control the surround balance at all. For
users, the current interface WORKS.

> Nah. using this is a misuse. You always should access SPDIF via the
> 'iec985' device, which is what PA does. It will switch the appropriate
> controls automatically and lock them and switch them back after use.
>
> The fact that these controls are available is an implementation detail
> which should be and is hidden by PA.

But until that works and is exposed in the relevant UIs, toggling the
boolean switch WORKS.

You can argue that the interface is crap, and I actually agree with you
there, but not that it's not there (it is).

        Kevin Kofler