Abandon "Default Desktop"

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Mon May 4 19:44:22 UTC 2009

Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
> As Roberto stated previously in this thread, those who think that "the
> user should have to choose" are more likely to be in the KDE camp. If
> KDE were the default "Desktop spin" in Fedora, I don't think that KDE
> people would oppose the idea of dropping the name "Desktop spin", or
> offering other DE's during installation, for the sake of having
> choices.

Yeah, as one of those "KDE people", I wouldn't want the KDE spin to be
called "Desktop spin" (not any more that I like the GNOME spin being called
that way right now). Such a generic name doesn't say what the users
actually get, which is bad both for the desktop being present on the spin
and for users who want to know what they get. Plus, it misleads newcomers
into thinking there's only one desktop, when there are actually 2 with
comparable levels of popularity, and some lightweight options with growing
user base (at least XFCE and LXDE, and some people would cite WM-only
solutions there too).

        Kevin Kofler