Abandon "Default Desktop"

Orcan Ogetbil oget.fedora at gmail.com
Tue May 5 10:45:38 UTC 2009

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 10:27 PM, Callum Lerwick wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-05-04 at 21:00 -0400, Orcan Ogetbil wrote:
>
>> You may want to grab the first microwave oven you
>> see and get out of the store, but believe me, most people are not like
>> you.
>
> I doubt that most people *want* to spend hours obsessing over what
> microwave to buy.
>
> I note that all your examples pertain purely to aesthetics. Yes, *that*
> is one thing average people care about. They want things to look unique,
> and personal. They *do not* care about underlying mechanics.

At no point, I said or implied to expose the internals of the DE to the user.

All I am saying is, let us provide them some information accompanied
by some screenshots (as aesthetics is important, and some people think
that Gnome is just ugly) for the DE they will live with. We will say:
"Look, these are your choices". I believe that the users deserve such
an option.

>> If you don't believe me, look out of your window. You might see
>> different brands of cars. I think that would be a proof that is
>> "scientific enough".
>
> And when most people jump in their car, they don't want to spend hours
> selecting ignition timings and suspension settings and transmission
> tunings and the gender and accent of the navigation system's voice
> before they can start the car.

No. They don't have to spend hours for this. Maybe 10-30 seconds...

Many people don't know that they have a choice. They use Windows. Some
people don't know that they have a further choice. They use an ugly
(to their taste) DE.

> And as KDE itself has embraced this mistaken philosophy of "choice is
> always desirable", why would we ever want to inflict it on non-technical
> users? People who want to play 20-questions already know where to find
> KDE.

My mom (who can't use a digital camera because it is too complicated)
has used KDE for years. Please stop this FUD. It's not fair.

Orcan