Re: Abandon "Default Desktop"

On 05/02/2009 11:27 PM, Kevin Kofler wrote:

> As for DeviceKit: what exactly does this bring to the user? I see only a
> limited set of new features. The main point is really that it is new code
> and HAL is old, and yes, a DeviceKit backend for Solid is needed. But I
> can't see how not having it available now is going to make KDE look bad.

For one, HAL is deprecated and is getting replaced by DeviceKit. You
need to get off the legacy framework and move into the new one but that
is a implementation detail. The real deal is the functionality
implemented on top of the new framework. Among other things, look at

http://blog.fubar.dk/?p=105

nautilus-gdu extension is another.

Rahul