Re: Multiple repositories or multiple subdirectories

Robert Marcano wrote:
On Mon, 2009-05-04 at 15:36 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
Robert Marcano wrote:

mirror tool that is rsync
Maybe creating a repository layout like
could make easy for mirrors to tell rsync to ignore some directories.
createrepo already support a nested structure, What do you think about
that?.
If space is a concern, have you considered simply using a caching proxy?

space is not a concern, network usage is.

Yes, but still it is a problem to make available for installation (not
only updates) groups of packages when network connection is not fast
enough (a common problem in my country, and I think in others too), It
is easier to setup rsync at night time, and leave the little bandwidth
available for daily operations

I maintain local mirrors of updates to the packages on the original DVD plus a few selected others (e.g. additional dependencies required by updates but not the original versions of those packages):

http://www.city-fan.org/tips/SubsetRepositoriesFedora10

This approach could easily be tweaked to use an arbitrary set of packages rather than the package set on the original install media.

Paul.