182 pending F11 stable updates. WTF?

David Cantrell dcantrell at redhat.com
Thu May 7 19:50:47 UTC 2009

On 05/07/2009 09:50 AM, Michael DeHaan wrote:
> Jesse Keating wrote:
>> How is it we have 182 stable updates pending for F11 already? How have
>> these seen any testing by a wider audience? Are we really just not
>> bothering with updates-testing anymore? Do we not care about distro
>> stability?
>>
>> I know that many of these are newpackages, but many aren't though.
>> </frustrated>
>>

> My experience is that most commercial users do not bother with logging
> into Bhodi or even know it exists.
>
> Another problem is that EPEL doesn't /yet/ use bhodi, so it has a
> different workflow -- meaning EPEL-testing doesn't really test anything,
> it means "rolls every 30-40 days", and that's about it.
> So testing has to happen manually, Fedora is the minority use case.
>
> Having a way to vote/comment without FAS would probably be enormously
> helpful in getting more users to use the system, once EPEL uses the same
> system.

Definitely.  Whenever I ask users to test an update and then comment in
bodhi, the latter never happens.  They test the update and 2 weeks later
I get a nag mail from bodhi about updates still sitting around.  I move
them to stable since I at least had the original reporter test it and
verify it worked.

--
David Cantrell <dcantrell at redhat.com>
Red Hat / Honolulu, HI