182 pending F11 stable updates. WTF?

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Thu May 7 20:32:41 UTC 2009

Tom Lane wrote:
> Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> writes:
>> I don't see anything wrong with this, as you're getting somebody to test
>> it before you move it.  The thing that bothered me was how many packages
>> were going straight into updates without passing -testing.
>
> Well, as you just pointed out yourself, F11 testing is nonfunctional as
> yet.  But the bigger problem is that putting stuff into -testing seldom
> accomplishes anything, at least for my packages.  I think I might
> possibly have gotten one bodhi comment across all the times I let stuff
> sit in -testing until nagged; I have certainly *never* seen anything
> pushed by the karma mechanism.  If maintainers decide it's a waste of
> time, there is not a lot you can say against them.

I use updates in -testing.  And I use postgresql for development work.
So I'm a consumer of the packages you leave in -testing even though I
don't comment in bodhi.

To me, the real value of the testing repository (or lack of value) is
not whether the update ever gets auto-pushed.  It's whether showstopper
bugs get caught while still in the -testing repo before being pushed out
to -stable.

I've had a few of those caught and reported a few myself so I'm seeing
value there.

-Toshio