Re: Another update, another reboot, no sound!

Try going into Skype's Options -> Audio Options.

Perhaps Skype can't figure out what sound device to use.  Make sure
it's set to "PulseAudio", and then try a test call.  If there are
other devices in that list, you could try each one until you get it to
work.  There's only a few of them.

An inconvenience, yes.  If this does not work, then you may have
deeper troubles.

I have no ideas for VirtualBox, don't use it.  From what I hear,
virtualized sound is an entirely different can of worms, and I'm not
surprised it doesn't work.