182 pending F11 stable updates. WTF?

Nathanael D. Noblet nathanael at gnat.ca
Thu May 7 22:33:49 UTC 2009

Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> 2009/5/7 "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" <johannbg at hi.is>:
>> Hum so for all the 1100+ packages that come with the default ( dvd ) install
>> hum mentioning the dvd is not really far so I shall just mention the 182
>> updates waiting!
>>
>> You want a notification that nags you all day long..
>
> you misread... i said give me a list of 5 out of the hundreds and nag
> me to drop a comment about one of them. have the 5 differ on each
> notification attempt. Once I drop at least one comment..it stops
> nagging me for the day.  At no point did i say his is something
> everyone would want. But I know my work patterns and I know I need
> help taking the pile of testing updates and turning them into
> bite-sized chunks of information. Really its not that much different
> than twitter alerts from people interrupting my UI...except instead of
> messages from people i know..its messages about packages I've
> installed.

Yeah, I agree, I recently enabled -testing so I could get the crazy new
shiny 2.6.29 kernels which I found fixed a bunch of stuff. Also recently
a colleague of mine who has since converted to linux but is by no means
an expert, were discussing ways to contribute back (particularly because
he gets frustrated with regressions in some programs) how to help. I
mentioned, turn on the -testing repo and file bugs... If that was easy
for them (or me) to do, it would be great.

I would most definitely agree that a way to mark the list of packages in
testing I'm interested in watching/filling comments for would be great.

--
Nathanael d. Noblet
T: 403.875.4613