182 pending F11 stable updates. WTF?

Michal Hlavinka mhlavink at redhat.com
Fri May 8 20:58:30 UTC 2009

On Friday 08 May 2009 17:17:58 Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Fri, 2009-05-08 at 10:59 +0200, Michal Hlavinka wrote:
> > I really agree with this. I think we need F11/updates and
> > F11/updates-testing soon after devel freeze. You get bugs reported for
> > snapshots, previews,... but fixing these bugs and especially delivering
> > them to users is too much difficult imho.
>
> Erm, it's too hard to do the build, then propose a freeze break to fix
> the bug?  If the bug is important enough that you're getting reports on
> it, why not propose that the final release has the bug fixed?

Yes, but it doesn't have to be just one really important bug. What is more
important? One bad bug in one package or twenty small bugs in twenty packages?
If I want to try rawhide, sometimes I have no other way than just upgrade my
system. For one bug I can use alternative app or apply update from koji, but I
don't want to do this for twenty or more packages.

> > In my dreamworld we have rawhide -> F11, F11/updates, F11/updates-testing
> > in a few days after devel freeze. I think at least F11/updates-testing
> > (without F11/updates available before day or two ago F11 GA) would be
> > really appreciated by developers.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by rawhide -> F11, however you do bring up an
> interesting idea.  Shortly after the freeze, if we did start releasing
> updates-testing, then the things that pass -testing could indeed go to
> the release rather than updates.  That's not a terrible idea, I'll have
> to think some on it and talk with the bodhi developer.

rawhide -> F11 = just create branch in the cvs (development for next rawhide
can continue, developers are not affected by freeze). This already happens, but
it could be sooner.

and with F11/updates-testing users will still be able to test the release, but
they'd be able to receive some updates.