182 pending F11 stable updates. WTF?

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Fri May 8 23:20:54 UTC 2009

> On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 10:08 AM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> > I think PackageKit / yum integration would definitely be the way to go.
>
> Goes back to the underlying issue... how do you notify the user that
> package foo came from updates-testing  X number of minutes/hours/days
> of testing..after system installation..so they can report back after
> those X number of minutes/hourse/days of testing?
>
> We don't record from which repository a package was installed from. To
> know what maybe installed from testing you have to be clever and do
> something like yum --disablerepo=updates-testing list extras  diffed
> against yum list extras.

That sounds extremely ugly. I think if we want to have more metadata
about packages, we should start tracking it at the appropriate level -
rpm or yum should track that information. If we're not willing to do
that, we shouldn't try and implement ugly hacks to generate the metadata
some other way.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey