182 pending F11 stable updates. WTF?

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Sat May 9 01:32:32 UTC 2009

Adam Williamson wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-05-09 at 03:00 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
>
>>> There is no reason to delay the F10 update.  Trying to avoid NVR
>>> breakage is a lost cause, it'll be broken between F10 updates and F11 GA
>>> almost immediately.
>> They are only broken, because your practices force them to be broken.
>>
>> This is a defect of your approach to preparing Fedora releases.
>
> Please explain how Jesse could possibly build the release discs such
> that it would ever work to upgrade from F10+updates to F11 GA.
I did so on many occastion (last time previous mails within this thread)

> This has
> nothing to do with the release prep process, but how we version update
> packages (we version them in such a way that an update shipped for
> Fedora N-1 can often become versioned higher than the version of that
> package in Fedora N release repos, and that's not a problem you can ever
> 'fix' in the ISO generation process).

The trick would be to decouple "DVD-preparations" from "F11-release".

One way to achieve this would be rel-eng to start with a copy/snapshot
of rawhide, but to let F11-release "roll on", e.g. by spawning
"F11-updates".

When encountering issues with their set of packages, they would have to
try fixing their issues by adding packages from "updates" to their set
of packages.

Ralf