182 pending F11 stable updates. WTF?

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Sat May 9 03:49:43 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 3:20 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> That sounds extremely ugly.

It is ugly...that's my point. That little ugly hack is the best way I
know to make a review list of relevant testing updates installed on my
system when I need it..at some time later after package installation.
>From that list I can then go into bodhi and review relevant info about
a package to see if I'm able to make a useful comment.  If I'm going
to be more effective as a tester..and more active as a commenter..i'm
going to need help getting info about things on my system that were
installed from testing.  The chronological list of updates on bodhi's
main site isn't that effective for me ..as there's no guarantee or
likelihood that the latest updates listed there are things I've
installed..even though i have updates-testing active.      The first
step in making me more effective is either teach client tools about
what it means for a package to be installed from updates-testing..or
teach bodhi to personalize its view of the update space conditioned on
my system.

For example an optional tie-in between smolt and bodhi would be keen.
A service I can choose to opt into as a tester..which would let me
upload my system's packaging info into smolt (after each yum update)
and then bodhi's interface could access that via the smolt id for my
system ( as browser cookie?) would be perfectly fine for me. I'm
willing to leak the package list from some of my systems into smolt in
order to get a better contributor experience in return. I'd like to be
more helpful than I am..but I need help organizing the firehose. Help
me, help you.

And yes. I know I'm asking for a lot and I'm not stepping up to write
that interface code. I know exactly what that sounds like...it sounds
like whining.  I apologize. I really want to be more effective at
providing feedback for the testing packages I'm consuming and I just
can't seem to string enough spare minutes together to be very
effective at it. Cutting down the time it takes for me to organize
what I'm looking for would be a step forward.  This is as much a
criticism of my own inability to be effective as it is about the
toolset not being able to help me surpass my own shortcomings. But
knowing what I know... I'm far more hopeful that the right people can
make the tools better than  I am about the chances that I'll become
inherently more productive...though I'm sure the pharmaceutical
industry will rise to the challenge.

-jef