Re: best practices for updates in stable releases

On Sat, 2009-05-09 at 20:05 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Maybe that is
>
> - because the text is to vague
>
> - because lot of packagers don't agree with it and don't care much what
> some commitee decided
>
> - because updates of popular packages (like kernel or KDE) give users
> and packagers the impression that updating to the latest and greatest is
> normal
>
> - because there is no coordination/benevolent Dictator or packager
> education to bring people in line
>
> IMHO it's all of the above.

That may be true.  However we've long maintained that maintainers should
be the ones to make the decision, and we've tried to avoid such things
as benevolent dictators.  I think it would cause more harm than good.

Perhaps a better strategy is more general education and gentle guiding,
and redirecting of people that disagree with the Fedora policies.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!