OpenOffice 3.1

drago01 drago01 at gmail.com
Sat May 9 19:52:14 UTC 2009

On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 9:44 PM, Caolán McNamara <caolanm at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-05-09 at 17:59 +0200, Kevin Kofler wrote:
>> Caolán McNamara wrote:
>> > But even if that wasn't the case I generally don't bump major versions
>> > of OOo in a released product.
>>
>> Is 3.0 -> 3.1 really that major? I must say I prefer the way packages like
>> the kernel or KDE are handled, where this kind of updates are pushed.
>
> I've a different view on that though, I really don't like the constant
> kernel update train.

Well newer kernels provide support for new hardware and telling people
to wait until the next release to use the hardware they own _now_
isn't really an option.
As for OO and KDE I really see no reason why they should be updated to
major versions in a release, but if the maintainers (who should know
their packages) think that the risk is low or think that it is not
worth the risk so be it.

We have maintainers for a reason, if we don't trust them we could
aswell have automated builds of the newest upstream stuff and put it
into the stable repo.