OpenOffice 3.1

Rodd Clarkson rodd at clarkson.id.au
Sun May 10 23:37:30 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-05-11 at 00:05 +0400, Pavel Alexeev (aka Pahan-Hubbitus)
wrote:
> Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > Christian Rose wrote:
> >> IMHO, Fedora needs more maintainers who think of whole releases as
> >> stable release sets.
> >
> > "Stable release sets" doesn't mean "no updates", it means "no updates which
> > break things".
> >
> > Normally, 3.0->3.1 type upgrades aren't the kind of updates which cause
> > regressions or compatibility issues.
> +1
> I fully agreed. Fedora is a bleeding edge distro. It is why I love it.
> It sometimes got trouble, but it is. If we have distro with other policy
> - please, RHEL, CentOS have it absolutely different - no updates until
> it absolutely needed.
> So, if 3.0 -> 3.1 update do not promise serious troubles - I want see it
> in Fedora 10.

Um, I'm a little confused.  You want bleeding edge, and you see Fedora
as a bleeding edge distro.  You also want OOo3.1 backported from f11 to
f10.

If you're into bleeding edge, won't you get OOo3.1 when you upgrage to
f11? And if you're not upgrading from f10, then your comments about
bleeding edge can't be that serious.

I think it's fair to assume that anyone using f10 is happy with it just
the way it is, and don't desperately want the current version, and that
if they aren't they will choose to upgrade (or cross over to another
distro).

As such, doesn't Caolan's policy make a lot of sense?

R.