OpenOffice 3.1

Pavel Alexeev (aka Pahan-Hubbitus) forum at ru.bir.ru
Mon May 11 00:11:45 UTC 2009

Rodd Clarkson wrote:
> Um, I'm a little confused.  You want bleeding edge, and you see Fedora
> as a bleeding edge distro.  You also want OOo3.1 backported from f11 to
> f10.
>
> If you're into bleeding edge, won't you get OOo3.1 when you upgrage to
> f11? And if you're not upgrading from f10, then your comments about
> bleeding edge can't be that serious.
>
> I think it's fair to assume that anyone using f10 is happy with it just
> the way it is, and don't desperately want the current version, and that
> if they aren't they will choose to upgrade (or cross over to another
> distro).

I speak about Fedora distro, not only rawhide. You think user which is
not upgraded into Fedora 11 first alpha do not want get updates for used
application??

Off course, main new features like new hash algorithm in RPM, ext4 by
default etc. must be *only* in new release. But, I, as maintainer, still
use Fedora 9 on one of my machine, and still can't find time to upgrade
it... So, please tell me why you think if I, say on My Work notebook use
Fedora 10 I do not want use OO 3.1??? I want. I maintain my packages
mostly on Fedora 9 yet, but nothing prevent me maintain it for the all
supported releases: F9, F10, F11 and some also for EPEL. And it is not
prevent me love and hate bleeding edge Fedora! Also I can't on work
notebook have risk what X server don't started after upgrade to
alpha/beta/preview F11. And I play with it in Live media and in Virtual
Machine.

So, new features is new features. It is cool, but, if you bothered about
users, you must provide for that up to date environment, especially it
is not caused problems for you in all (ok, ok, I initially do not speak
about coming EOL Fedora 9) supported releases. In the end, no one is
forcing update! If you like OO 3.0 - please, use it, but if you want
3.1, also - please, take it.

IMHO, off course.