Re: Downgrading Firefox 3.5 and Thunderbird 3.0

David wrote:
> On 5/11/2009 8:07 AM, Stephen Gallagher wrote:
>> OK, first off, why in $DEITY's name are we including Firefox 3.5b4 and
>> Thunderbird 3.0b2 in Fedora 11? These are unstable branches of the
>> browser and email client, and as such are supported by almost none of
>> the myriad of extensions available for the 3.0 and 2.0 versions,
>> respectively.
>>
>> I was more than a little disappointed when I upgraded my laptop to the
>> F11 Preview to discover that only two out of seven of my Thunderbird
>> extensions and three of my thirteen Firefox extensions remained functional.
>

> Depending on exactly what extensions that you have if you *download*
> them you can change this. Open the .xpi, or .jar, with the archive tool.
> Open the file named  'install.rdf'  with your text editor and look for
> the line that says "<em:maxVersion>". Change that number to the version
> that you are using. Or even a little higher if you like. Save and update
> the  'install.rdf', close the archive tool, and install your new extension.
>
> This works for most themes too.

The point is that most extension developers haven't felt the need to try to
update their extensions for Thunderbird 3 as the API hasn't stabilized yet.
Thunderbird extensions are much more finicky than Firefox extensions I would
wager, especially given this major feature update.  I would offer that Firefox
3.5b4 is a lot closer to RC than Thunderbird 3.0b2 is, and I still expect
there to be problems with extensions for Firefox before release (this was very
common for Firefox 3.0 as well where changes broke extensions even in the RC
series).

-Doug