182 pending F11 stable updates. WTF?

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon May 11 15:12:19 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-05-11 at 13:58 +0200, Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> > We've been trying to push F11 updates for a couple days now.
> ... but you still haven't updated fedora-release, so neither mock
> doesn't pick them up.

That's right, I wanted to make sure they hit mirrors OK before I
released a fedora-release with repo configuration pointing to them.  Of
course you're free to manually turn those repos on and test it out for
yourself.

> >> * Decouple cuttings DVDs from F11 development
> >
> > I honestly don't understand what you're proposing here.  No DVD from the release?
> No, I am proposing that rel-eng chooses a set of packages to build iso
> etc. from, while "updates" "rolls on".
>
> Or differently: rel-eng composes the "Fedora" repo from those packages
> they choose, which "updates" continues, independently from rel-eng's
> activities.
>
> >  What do we have people download to get the release?
> As before ... the only difference would be "Fedora" (i.e. the set of
> packages the DVDs etc. would have been built from) would be older than
> "updates" (and/or "Everything")

Which does nothing to help the upgrade and n-v-r case.

> >  What do
> > we hand out at events?
> Openly said, ... I would hand out netboot.img's, accompanied with a yum
> repository of "Everything" ... but that's a different topic.
>
> >> * Implement rawhide/testing
> >
> > Is this a full time thing, you always want a rawhide, and a
> > rawhide-testing, which is driven by bodhi?
> I haven't thought about all details, but I am inclined to lean towards a
> "permanent rawhide-testing".
>
> There would be times where it hardly would be used, but there can easily
> be times, when it would be heavily used (e.g. there currently is a
> proposal pending which would severely change perl's behavior (perl
> module search order and file system layout), with currently unclear
> outcome).

How would one choose to use it?  Why would anyone choose to use bodhi if
they were allowed to build directly into rawhide?  Should we force the
use of bodhi during freezes, and make it optional otherwise?

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- Freedom² is a feature!