OpenOffice 3.1

Pavel Alexeev (aka Pahan-Hubbitus) forum at ru.bir.ru
Mon May 11 15:22:00 UTC 2009

Rodd Clarkson wrote:
> I can't account for your time use, and I understand that upgrading takes
> time, especially when you maintain a number of machines.
>
> As for your work laptop running f10 and not having time to upgrade to
> f11, but want OOo3.1, let me give you and opposing argument.
>
> My wife doesn't want to update her laptop every 6 months (I do) and she
> gets really annoyed when the applications she uses change mid release
> and she has to change with them.  She doesn't have the time to re-learn
> an application and just want's to work in an consistent and expected
> way.  She does however appreciate that her laptop is (relatively)
> up-to-date and doesn't mind upgrading every 12 months (or so).
>
> Should she have to have take the time to relearn applications because
> you haven't got the time to upgrade?  More importantly, from her
> perspective she doesn't give a damn if there are changes to things like
> "new hash algorithm in RPM, ext4 by default etc" and doesn't even
> realize that she uses these things.  She does however use OOo, Firefox,
> Evolution and other applications and she does notice when they chance
> and she doesn't like it changing all the time (and especially
> mid-release).
Ho-ho!!! I have exactly same situation: My wife always disagree with my
updates and experiments. All what she need - "It warks, please do not
touch it". And, I can say confidently - all questions was gone when I
leave her notebook! For few times when I use it I install second, fully
independent copy of new release Fedora 11 from alpha, and leave Fodora 8
unchanged. All happy.

And please, keep in mind - she have not any matter - will pushed OO 3.1
to Fedora 9 or not if she is not planed update it at all!!! I think with
you wire situation is exactly the same.