182 pending F11 stable updates. WTF?

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Mon May 11 17:37:02 UTC 2009

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 1:18 PM, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-05-11 at 12:43 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
>>
>> I'd say we should be handing out live cds.  If DVD format is desired
>> for various reasons, the ideal way it's structured would be that it'd
>> be a live dvd, with the stuff that didn't fit from the corresponding
>> comps set installed (I'm thinking OpenOffice here). How any remaining
>> space should be filled is a matter for debate (do we do development
>> tools?  servers?  popular games?  a mix of all?).
>
> Whether it's a DVD or a Live image, it is still a static pile of
> packages from a specific date in time.

Well, I see it as a well defined *targeted product* which happens to
be composed of packages.  It's the base from which other things can be
installed from the Internet.  What is the problem with "static pile of
packages"? (I have to admit to only skimming this thread)

> Of course, the Live image
> doesn't necessarily have the upgrade problem we're talking about,
> because you can't use the live image to do an upgrade.  Makes it less
> than useful for people.

For upgrades we should be pushing people towards preupgrade.  If
preupgrade works well, I'm having trouble thinking of scenarios in
which you'd end up with a physical image and want to do an upgrade.
Maybe if you're out of disk space you'd need physical media to
download the updates on to, but there's also no reason preupgrade
couldn't prompt you to insert a USB stick or blank CD.