FESco meeting summary for 20090507

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Mon May 11 18:02:01 UTC 2009

On Sun, 2009-05-10 at 18:14 +0200, Mathieu Bridon (bochecha) wrote:
> On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 17:44, Jon Stanley <jonstanley at gmail.com> wrote:
> Wouldn't smolt be a good way to know the rates of 64 bits processors
> versus 32 bits ones ?
>
> The « arch » tab says :
> i686  	200890  	75.2 %
> x86_64 	64931 	24.3 %
>
> But if I understood it right, that's actually the installed arch, not
> the capability of the CPU, so many of those i686 installs might come
> from 64 bits CPUs and user not knowing/willing to move to 64 bits
> OS...
>
> The « CPU » tab doesn't say whether the CPU is 32 or 64 bits though
> (or maybe I didn't look close enough).
>
> Knowing how many 64 bits CPUs are out there using Fedora could provide
> good input for this issue IMHO.

Yes, Smolt's CPU stats are mostly useless. What it *needs* to do is
collect up everyone's cpuinfo flags:

$ grep "model name" /proc/cpuinfo
model name	: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3000+
$ grep flags /proc/cpuinfo
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic mtrr pge mca cmov pat
pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt lm 3dnowext
3dnow up rep_good pni lahf_lm

Then we could come up with all kinds of meaningful stats, like how many
people have cmov/MMX/SSE, and how many support 64 bit regardless of
installed architecture.

The "lm" flag means "long mode" is supported, aka "64 bit":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Long_mode