182 pending F11 stable updates. WTF?

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Mon May 11 21:01:10 UTC 2009

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 4:36 PM, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-05-11 at 16:18 -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
>> In the desktop context packages get upgraded when PackageKit notices
>> new stuff and the user starts downloading it.  What was originally on
>> the CD is mostly irrelevant.
>
> Except when you can't actually get to the desktop or use the update tool
> because it's the F10 version that doesn't work with the rest of the F11
> content.  If you've waited a while and have newer F10 packages than
> what's on the F11 media you'll have a system in a fragile undefined
> state.

Ahh...I'm confused.  How do you get to this state?  It sounds like
something preupgrade could handle in any case.

Let me take a step back - here's all I'm trying to say: The user
experience of the live images is way better than anaconda-the-OS, and
we should be sure users who don't explicitly want a
choose-your-own-adventure are getting the live images.  Especially
from things like trade shows.

> How is the "minimal image" not a choose your own adventure?

The minimal image is a targeted product in the sense that it's
intended for people to build higher-level products on, like virtual
machine appliances and the like.  We wouldn't expect people to take
the minimal image and then try to convert it into a desktop
workstation.