Re: SPARC Status (Was Re: Secondary Architecture Status?)

Adam Williamson wrote:
On Mon, 2009-05-11 at 14:51 -0400, Josh Boyer wrote:

I would really like to see a proliferation of secondary arches in
Fedora, but I don't think 'workstation' is a viable usage model for
them to get started.  Most will have to focus on the type of hardware
that actually sells for that arch, and yes I realize that can be at
odds with some of the directions Fedora is going.

Semi-sidetrack here: Ubuntu has a secondary 'architecture' called LPIA
which is, in fact, just an alternative set of compiler optimizations
which they claim results in better code for 'netbook
systems' (presumably meaning 'Atom CPUs'). Would that be something we
could look into, or not interesting?
It likely is something worth looking into, but based on my experiences with Fedora on my netbook, I am having doubts compiler optimizations alone are worth a "secondary arch".

At least on my netbook, neither "speed" or "space" (mine has a disk) are actual problems.

The actual problems I am facing are:
a) Low level related issues (HW/drivers/kernels, Xserver, WLAN, ..., suspend/resume, function-keys). I.e. essentially the same issues as on many other machines, esp. notebooks.

b) GUI layout issues: Much of the current DEs and GUI-apps appear not to be prepared/designed for usage on small, wide displays.

Ralf