Re: FESco meeting summary for 20090507

Kevin Kofler wrote:
> OK, so there are technically current 32-bit machines which are not
> netbooks. Certainly not the common case though. ;-) And people should
> choose an Atom-330-based solution instead. :-)

That depends entirely on what they want to do with the machine. My backup
server is a Soekris net4801 with a 266 MHz SC1100. It's quite sufficient for
Rsync over SSH and draws about four to five watts. (That particular model has
end-of-life status now though.)

I agree that a time will probably come when 32-bit x86 processors are no
longer manufactured, but we're not there yet.

Björn Persson