Things to do this week instead of arguing about mixers

Pádraig Brady P at draigBrady.com
Tue May 12 09:43:15 UTC 2009

Eric Sandeen wrote:
> Now that we have ext4 as the new default filesystem, it'd be nice if we
> can get more applications to take advantage of some of the features.
>
> One big feature that has already been brought up on the list[1] is file
> preallocation, which allows an application to pre-allocate blocks it
> knows that it will eventually write into, thereby making sure it won't
> run out of space, and also generally getting a more efficient/contiguous
> file layout.

[snip]

> fallocate(2):
> long fallocate(int fd, int mode, loff_t offset, loff_t len);
>
> This is directly wired to the syscall, so only succeeds on filesystems
> that support it.  It also takes a FALLOC_FL_KEEP_SIZE mode argument,
> which allows one to allocate blocks without updating the file size if
> desired (blocks can then be allocated past EOF).  This call is only
> wired up in very recent glibc, but it is available in F11.

I tried using fallocate() on glibc-2.9.90-22.
The man-pages are out of date and say the glibc interface is not available,
but from inspecting the headers I came up with the test prog below.
However I get a link error if I uncomment #define _FILE_OFFSET_BITS 64.
What am I missing?

cheers,
Pádraig.

//#define _FILE_OFFSET_BITS 64
#define _GNU_SOURCE
#include <fcntl.h>
#include <linux/falloc.h>

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <inttypes.h>

int main (int argc, char** argv)
{
    char* endptr;
    off_t len = strtoll(argv[1], &endptr, 10);
    fprintf(stderr, "setting to %jd\n", (intmax_t)len);
    int ret = fallocate(1, 0, 0, len);
    fprintf(stderr, "ret=%d (%s)\n", ret, strerror(ret));
}