Fedora (Linux) is Destroying it self

Michael Nielsen mike at thetroubleshooters.dk
Tue May 12 10:09:12 UTC 2009

Conrad Meyer wrote:
> >From this rant it seems like your operating system of choice ought to be
> Slackware, not Fedora. I'm sure you'll find it much more to your liking
> (crummy-to-no package management, out of date software, etc).
>
> Regards,

Possibly I have not explained what I'm trying to do here, I'm not
blindly complaining,
if it was that I'm just unhappy with Fedora, et. al., I'd build the
system from source myself,
I've done that before, and can do it again.

However, due to some of the issues I've pointed out, I've started not
using the package
manager for the main components for the development work I do, because
of the problem of not
being able to use the package manager to maintain multiple versions of
an application
on a system - something that could be implemented almost trivially, by
restructuring
the way packages are installed.

I was trying to bring some constructive critism, and to start a debate,
there are things
that I've noticed are problems, and I wanted to bring to the attention
to people, as they
are perceived by many as reasons for NOT using Linux.

I could just ignore it and go about my business, much easier to do, but
I'd like to see
Linux thrive.

Personally I like Fedora, but I don't like the way it is moving as an
entity - IMO downhill
since Redhat 8 (as server, and configurability), though Fedora 8 (as a
desktop) was quite nice.
Fedora 10 is highly unstable, I have no less than 3 systems, that comes
with serious
problems under Fedora 10, but works brilliantly with Fedora 8.