Fedora (Linux) is Destroying it self

Michael Nielsen mike at thetroubleshooters.dk
Tue May 12 10:33:55 UTC 2009

Seth Vidal wrote:

> but this isn't about the distro's long term development.
>
> It's a rant, a screed. It's a tirade. It's going to render zero
> positive results.
>
> how do I know this? B/c I can, in fact, see into the near future.
>
> Here's what I see - a 30-40 msg thread that has no signal and all noise.
>
> I'm not going to bother with the rest of this thread.
>
> I'm speaking here not as an employee at red hat but as an elected
> member of the fedora board.
>
> "This thread will bear no good results and I'm tired of everything
> being full of bile and vitriol"
>
> I won't be running for the fedora board in the next round of
> elections. You can run, Ralf. I hope you have great success tilting at
> windmills.
>
> -sv

So in other words, I've noticed some problems that are creeping in, but
I should shut up and not
bring them to the attention of people developing the system.

I do not rant, I point out problems, I describe them, though not in the
detail they probably deserve,
I work in the field, trying to promote Linux to the corporate users, and
desktop people, and I work
with the system daily.

All the problems I have described are things that I run into daily, I
have developed a strategy for
working around the problems, and thus they do not present any problems
for me, however,
users without a deeper understanding of UNIX and Linux, might not be
able to work around the
issues.

Therefore I am arguing that Linux is destroying it self.

RedHat 8 had a really configurable interface, this has been slowly
degraded.

Fedora 8 was stable, and worked well, 9 - well sorry - never had so many
problems with a linux
distribution before, and 10 is not an improvement, I have 3 systems i've
downgraded to Fedora 8,
because fedora 10 is so unstable on these - the hardware is ok, runs
everything other than Fedora 10.

However, if my feedback is uninteresting, I'll leave the mailing list,
and just ignore the problems.