Fedora (Linux) is Destroying it self

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Tue May 12 13:24:47 UTC 2009

Ilyes Gouta wrote:
> I think it's a good idea to not throw everything in one location. May
> be we should really introduce this as a feature for the next Fedora
> releases. This would also help get rid of the /usr/bin directory,
> introduce more flexibility in packages management and security.

Hey, April 1st was over a month ago!

/usr/bin is 1. required by the FHS, 2. required because otherwise we'd end
up with a huge PATH which slows down the whole system, 3. part of how *nix
works, 4. directly referenced in many scripts (the #! lines require a full
path, unless you use /usr/bin/env – which also requires hardcoding
/usr/bin!) and 5. just common sense.

        Kevin Kofler